Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cook from the Book: Southwestern Sausage Ring


Connie at Tales from the Fridge has started a new Cook from the Book cookbook challenge that's right up my alley:
Are you addicted to cookbooks? Do you have a collection of cookbooks that are sitting around collecting dust? Do you wish you cooked out of them more often? Do you have a hard time figuring out what to make for dinner? Twice a month, cook a recipe from a cookbook and post about it. This is a great way for us to try new recipes from our books and share them with each other. Posting days will be the FIRST And THIRD Tuesday of each month.

I have close to a hundred cookbooks...that I don't really cook from. When I get a new cookbook, I read through it and make a list in the back of recipes that I want to try. I then put the book on a shelf...and inevitably forget about it!

So...instead of relying on one of my tried-and-true appetizers, I brought out something new for my Georgia-Auburn football game gathering this past weekend. It was a HIT! Think savory monkey bread.

Southwestern Sausage Ring
(Southern Living Annual Recipes 2003)

1 (12-ounce) package ground hot or mild pork sausage
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 (1-ounce) package fajita seasoning mix
2 (12-ounce) cans refrigerated biscuits (regular size, not Grands)
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Mexican four-cheese blend

Cook sausage over medium heat until it crumbles and is no longer pink. Stir in peppers and cook 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle with seasoning mix and cook 1-2 more minutes. Drain well, pressing with paper towels.

Separate biscuits and cut into quarters. Place in a large mixing bowl. Fold in sausage mixture, tossing to coat.

Layer biscuit mixture and cheese in a lightly greased 10-inch tube pan.

Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand in pan for 5-10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.

7 comments:

Connie said...

That sounds so good and perfect for a football game!

Thanks for playing! Come over and link up your post so everyone can enjoy it.

bermudaonion said...

Now I'm wondering who you were rooting for on Saturday! I'm sure the folks in Auburn were let down. This sounds like a great holiday brunch meal.

shortmama said...

This sounds so good!!!

Valerie said...

Glad your first challenge recipe was a hit! It sounds like a great pick.

Belle Wong said...

This sounds really delicious - great for get-togethers!

Debbie said...

I do the same thing.... find a bunch I want to cook, make notes and then never get back to them.

This looks like a good one.

Jim Rhodes said...

I don't really like these books. But my friends just love them! They also like this https://eduessayhelper.org/blog/character-analysis-essay site.