Saturday, November 7, 2009

Weekend Cooking meme


Beth Fish Reads hosts a Weekend Cooking meme, which is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: book (novel or non-fiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, recipes, etc.

This weekend, I made one of my favorite football-season recipes, Brunswick Stew from The Blue Willow Inn Bible of Southern Cooking.

2 (15-ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
2 (15-ounce) cans creamed corn
2 (13-ounce) cans chicken
2 (10-ounce) cans BBQ pork
1 (14-ounce) bottle ketchup
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker, and cook on low for two to three hours. Best served with Jiffy cornbread or, amazingly, Ritz crackers.

8 comments:

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

Your recipe sounds delicious - I'll have to try it! I think this is a meme that is right up my alley! Hope you're enjoying your weekend Jill.

Anonymous said...

The Blue Willow Inn is about an hour or so away from my home. We've been planning to go there for dinner, but so far haven't made it. I've heard that all the food is delicious.

caite said...

I love Ritz crackers! They remind me of my childhood, eating them with canned chicken soup.

The Bumbles said...

Chicken & BBQ pork comes in cans? That recipe sounds delicious - and I'm not generally a stew fan. Ritz crackers are always a favorite when I was growing up. If we were feeling real fancy we'd crumble those up in our tomato soup instead of saltines ;0)

bermudaonion said...

I had no idea you could buy BBQ pork in a can! I'll have to try this recipe.

Jill said...

The canned pork is the key ingredient. It gives it ALL the flavor. You can find it with the canned chicken, tuna, etc. YUM!

bermudaonion said...

I made this tonight and it was delicious and easy as pie. Thanks for sharing!

Margot said...

This recipe sounds unique enough that I have put the ingredients on my shopping list. I love stews this time of year. Thanks for sharing.