Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Cook from the Book: Breakfast Wellington


For brunch this past weekend, I wanted a departure from my typical egg/grits/sausage casserole. I remembered making a note of this recipe awhile back and decided to give it a try. It was delicious, different, and very attractive (I need to get in the habit of taking food photos to accompany recipes).

This is from Secret Ingredients, from the Junior League of Alexandria, Louisiana. The original recipe called for a 10-ounce package of chopped broccoli, but I omitted that. It also called for a garlic cheese roll, which I think has been discontinued by Kraft.

1 pound ground sausage (I used hot)
1/2 cup sour cream
6 oz. Velveeta (as substitute for garlic cheese roll)
2 (8 ounce) cans refrigerated crescent roll dough
1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Brown and drain sausage.

Add in sour cream and cheese and cook until cheese is melted and mixture is well blended. Season with garlic powder, if desired. Let mixture stand off heat for 10 minutes or until thickened.

Place 1 package of crescent rolls flattened on a cookie sheet. Press together seams. Cover with sausage-cheese mixture, leaving a one-inch border around.

Cut remaining crescent rolls into strips and place on top of mixture length and width (lattice).

Brush top and edges with egg.

Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cut into squares to serve.

Cook from the Book Cookbook Challenge is hosted by Tales from the Fridge.

7 comments:

Missy B. said...

That sounds really good! Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

Connie said...

I love to make these kinds of breakfast items for Christmas! And I know my husband would LOVE It!

And yes...I'd love to see a picture of it. :)

bermudaonion said...

This sounds good and pretty easy too. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Valerie said...

Gotta love these easy recipes!

Gourmified said...

Sounds Delish!!!

Tales of Whimsy said...

Ok seriously....this sounds amazing. My tummy rumbled in protest after reading this.

Salvador said...

Finding a foreign bride has become easier thanks to buy an asian bride We offer the best sites where you can meet a girl. Foreign women profiles for you. Come to our site to get acquainted.