Saturday, December 12, 2009

Weekend Cooking: Paula Deen's Hot Chicken Salad


Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads.

I came down with a cold this week, and when I'm sick, my comfort food of choice isn't soup...it's any kind of casserole. I made one of my favorites last night that will carry me through the weekend. It may sound odd, but this Hot Chicken Salad, from the Paula Deen and Friends cookbook, is absolutely amazing.

I've made it without the almonds before...but whatever you do, don't skip the celery. It's a critical ingredient for flavor and crunch. YUM!

2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 cup diced celery
2 cups cooked chicken breast meat, cubed
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
2/3 cup crushed potato chips

Preheat oven to 350.

Spray a baking dish with vegetable oil cooking spray.

In a large mixing bowl combine the chicken, celery, almonds, salt, pepper, lemon juice, mayonnaise, and cheese. Place the mixture in the prepared baking dish. Spread the crushed potato chips on top.

Bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbly.

Note: I recommend using low-fat mayo in this recipe to keep it from being too greasy. Also, this is great hot, room temp, or even cold the next day!

10 comments:

bermudaonion said...

That sounds yummy!

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Yum! Hope you're feeling better, Jill.

Unknown said...

This sounds delish! Feel better soon!

Tales of Whimsy said...

I <3 Paula!

Beth F said...

You're right -- it sounds like the perfect comfort food!

Heather said...

that sounds really good. would have to try some substitutes for that much mayo. but will give it a try. Thanks.

JoAnn said...

This is perfect comfort food... I'm printing out the recipe. Hope you're feeling better soon!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Yum...this sounds really good Jill; thanks

Connie said...

Oh my gosh YUMM!!

Hope you're feeling better!

S. Krishna said...

This sounds great! I love Paula Deen's recipes.